Bible study can be more enjoyable if you break up your serious study with some fun trivia. Do you know, for example, what Bible chapter and verse is at the very center of the Bible? The fact can vary a little bit based on what Bible version you are using, but by most reckoning, the very center of the Bible [when measured by chapter count] is Psalms 118.
Here are some other fun facts surrounding Psalm 118:
• The longest chapter of Psalms falls just after this center chapter--Psalm 119.
• The shortest chapter of Psalms falls just before this center chapter--Psalm 117.
Have fun testing yourself on these other Bible trivia questions [the answers are at the end, so don’t peek!]
1. What is the longest book of the Old Testament [by word count]?
2. What is the shortest book of the Old Testament [by word count]?
3. What is the longest book in the New Testament [by word count]?
4. What is the shortest book in the New Testament [by word count]?
5. Do you know the shortest verse in the New Testament?
6. From which catastrophe does Joseph save Egypt?
7. How does God first appear to Moses?
8. What object did God give Moses to allow him to perform signs and wonders?
9. How does God feed the Israelites in the desert?
10. Why does God curse the Israelites to wander the desert for forty years before entering the Promised Land?
11. Who betrays Samson to the Philistines?
12. In what city was Jesus born?
13. How many books are in the New Testament?
14. What insect did John the Baptist eat in the desert?
15. After Jesus was arrested, which apostle disowned him three times?
16. Who recognized Jesus as the Messiah when he was presented at the Temple as a baby?
17. Who pretended to be mad to avoid capture and death at the hands of an enemy king?
18. Who watched as Moses floated in the basket down the Nile?
19. How many days did God take to create the world?
20. What were the names of the sons of Adam and Eve listed in the Bible?
21. How many days and nights did it rain when Noah was on the ark?
22. What forbidden image did the Israelites make at Mt. Sinai?
23. Before Jesus started preaching, what was his job?
24. Name the place where Jesus walked on water?
25. How many books have the name John in them?
26. What Bible book never mentions God?
1. By counting the number of words in Hebrew or Greek, the longest book of the Bible is Jeremiah, which has 33,002 words. The second longest book of the Bible is Genesis, with 32,046 words. While it is by far the longest book of the Bible by the number of chapters, the book of Psalms is only the third longest book of the Bible with words: 30,147.
3. Longest NT book: Gospel of Luke.
4. 2 John with only 13 verses [but 3 John uses fewer words in the original Greek].
5. Jesus wept.
7. A burning bush
8. His own staff
10. Their lack of faith and fear of the giants caused the people to refuse to enter the promised land.
12. Bethlehem of Judea
13. 27 books in the New Testament
14. He ate locusts.
15. Peter denied Jesus three times
16. Anna and Simeon
18. Miriam, his sister
19. 6 days; God rested the seventh.
20. Cain, Able, and Seth
21. 40 days and nights.
22. A golden calf.
23. A carpenter
24. Sea of Galilee
25. Four—one gospel and three letters
26. [Bonus!] Esther